Friday, January 3, 2014

Meeting Miss Jordan: The Beginning Documented

When I talked to one of my friends about ordering the My Creative Scrapbook kit last year, she was surprised because shabby chic isn't exactly my style. I eventually decided to subscribe for six months to step outside of my style rut. This was the last kit from my subscription and it was by far the most shabby chic. I'd like to think that I did it justice in spite of all of the dreaded pink.

My first layout is about my cousin Katie visiting Jordan in the hospital for the first time. Jojo was in the NICU for three months, and I had to sleep there with her for several days before we brought her home. Katie came for a while to keep me company and it was so sweet of her. 

Cousin_Hospital Visit_Special Needs_Preemie_Scrapbook Page
After I made that project, I had a bunch of tiny scraps so I pulled out a multi-pocket page protector. They work wonderfully for using lots of bits and pieces of paper. I used two more photos from the first week that I met Miss Jordan. She was the most beautiful baby and I was thrilled to be her foster Mom, I didn't know then, but two years later we would be able to adopt her.  

Preemie Scrapbook_Project Life_Pocket Pages_Bird

This is the back of the same pocket page protector where I journaled about learning to take care of Jordan. She wore an apnea monitor until she was six months old and oxygen until she was almost a year old. She was also on six different medications that I had to learn how to administer. Let me tell you, I took serious notes! She was high maintenance, but worth every single second.

Pocket Page Protector_Special Needs Baby_Scrapbook Layout

Do you have a specific style and wish you could step outside of the box and create something different? Do what I did and try ordering product that you wouldn't normally use, and then start creating. You might be surprised by how much you love the end result. I know I was!

10 comments:

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Wowwwwwww! All of these are gorgeous! LOVING the colors, the photos and loveeeeeeeee the door on the first page!!!!!

Cindy deRosier said...

LOVE these pages! You're rocking the shabby chic!

Debbie P said...

You did a wonderful job with the shabby chic elements. Your pocket pages and your layout are absolutely gorgeous! So sweet!

cathsheard said...

Bless you for loving a baby that didn't make things easy - how special is that! Your layouts are lovely, and such a great record of all those life events.
I got here via CJS14; it's nice to meet you and see all your artwork.

Izzy Anderson said...

You did such a beautiful job with this! Great design and I love the story you tell. You did wonderful work with this kit.

Linda Jordan said...

Gorgeous pages!! I'm so happy everything turned out great for your family with Jordan, that your adoption went through so smoothly + that she's become the spunky fun girl she is. [I'm reminded of a foster mom on one of my CASA cases right now that has been fighting for adoption for 4 years + it's still awhile away, if it even happens]. You really did a great job with the pink supplies, those supplies definitely aren't my style either + idk if I'd ever find a way to use them, congrats for stepping out of your comfort zone! I need to do that more :)

Chantal Vandenberg said...

Gorgeous work!!!

Sharon Fritchman said...

Shabby chic is a wonderful style for you, Heather. And I have tears in my eyes after seeing and reading your heartwarming and touching account of meeting Jordan. LOVE!!!!!

mel m. m. mccarthy said...

Breathtaking pages! You're inspiring me to try scrapbooking this year.

Nancy Keslin said...

love all the shabby goodies. you are rockin'. gorgeous colors, fabulous layers.